Raptr Gamercard

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Gaming pirates are annoying morons

Piracy is one of those things that you will see discussions about in forums once in a while. I am sure you have seen it and also participated. It doesnt really matter if you pirate games or not, everyone has something to say about it.

Once upon a time in my life I too used to pirate games. I was in my teens and did not have any money to buy games. So I pirated them knowing full well that it was a "crime" but also knowing full well that I wasnt likely to get caught or punished for it. After all I wasnt selling games or anything like that so why would anyone be interested in going after me. And I think that is how it is for most people out there.

However, one thing happened that led to me not pirating games anymore. I got a job. A job means money and money meant I no longer had an excuse to download isos and all that shit. So I have been "clean" for about 12 years or so.

This does not seem to be the case for everyone though. For some reason people that do have money to buy games still download them. Why is this?

I recently had a discussion with someone about piracy. This person was really looking forward to a certain game so naturally we talked about how awesome it will be etc etc. The game is the new Sim City by the way.
And when I asked if they are going to buy the special edition or the normal one, the person answered with neither. I will download it. Ok?

Why? You have a job. You look forward to the game being released. You know it is a good game. And in case you dont know you can always try it out with a demo if there is one.
The answer to that is that EA are greedy. What?

Ok so that is one argument I hear alot. Game companies are greedy.

Here is the thing. Companies are there to make money. That is their purpose. Why is it that when a company sets a price that you think is too high you immediately resort to stealing the software? This is something that always pissed me off.

You don't go to a store, any store and ask the price of a product and when the price is too high for your liking you steal the product! This only happens with software. It is mindboggling how people become thieves when they think they can't get caught.

If the price is too high you don't buy the product. You don't buy the product? You shut the fuck up about said product. End of story.

Another argument I hear often is that I download games to try them out. If I then like the game I will buy it.

Never in the history of gaming has this ever happened. No one has ever pirated a game, stopped playing it because they realize it is really good and then gone out and bought it. I don't care if you decided to buy the game after you cleared it. You are still a douche. Try the DEMO first.

Here is another gem. Convenience. It is a bother to go the store to buy games. Sorry. Direct downloads from Steam, Origin, Gamers Gate and what have you makes that argument invalid. And even if we did not have these convienient online stores it would still not be a valid argument. You go to the shop to buy food and other crap. So you can do the same for games.

DRM. Now this one is probably the biggest reason for piracy nowadays. People do not like DRM. And they like to whine about how they don't like DRM and how companies fail for wanting gamers to verify online or always be online while playing. While I agree that having to be online constantly is something that should not exist I do believe a onetime online verification is the right way to do it.
Either way you are not entitled to pirate a game. You have every detail about the game available to you before you buy it. If it says DRM then don't buy it if you can't handle that shit.

Why is it that gamers pirate games and software when they feel the price is not worth it? Why do they still feel entitled to actually PLAY and USE the software?

The answer is quite simple. Pirates are absolute morons.

They are cowards and thieves who only do it because they know they will get away with it. Was it any other product in the real world they would not steal it.

Pussies.

There is another category of pirates that I don't fully hate as much. The ones that say "Yeh I know that Im stealing and if I get caught I will pay the price for it and I would deserve it". This is very rare. I think it has happened once or twice that someone has said that.
But there is a certain amount of respect that you have to give that guy or girl for not being a fucking hypocrite hiding behind a bunch of lame excuses. So good for you if you are one of those thieves. :)

Food for thought: I used to work in the "gaming" business and piracy is well represented there aswell. How about that? One could argue that that is even worse. Supposedly because piracy is such a huge problem for games companies. Right? :D

If you guys have thoughts on this, just put them in the comments below.

Take care!

2 comments:

  1. I do pirate games. Though I don't fully agree with you on some points I totally agree that if you have the money, buy it. I download games to see if they are worth buying. Betas are buggy, not done products they aren't there to try out the game and trials(if there is one for a game) are in most cases made in a way to hide the flaws so basically useless for an experienced gamer. I download the game. Play an hour or two and if the game is good, then I buy it. If not I delete it and play something else.

    Oh and I also agree. If you are just plain lazy to go to a store and buy a game, then you may want to think on spending the money on gym membership. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks for your comment Anonymous. If that is even your real name!

      You have good points there regarding the trial versions not giving a fair representation of the game etc.

      I like the way you go about it. Play it, like it, buy it. I just wish this was how all pirates did it. Also your reasons make sense. :)

      Delete